Eight Steps to Finding the Perfect New Home for Sale in Columbus
How to find the perfect home from the best Columbus new home builder.
Spring is in the air. Tulips are popping up all over and robins are starting to feather their nests. They’re on a mission to find perfect locations for new homes for their families this year. Maybe you are too! If you’re in the market for a new home for sale in Columbus this spring, a big adventure awaits. It will probably be equal parts fun, scary and exciting. But once you’ve found your dream home, the best part begins. Now, you can create new traditions and find new ways to feather YOUR nest as you make your new house a home. Here’s a handy list of eight steps that will help you focus your search and find the perfect new home in Columbus (which, by the way, is a wonderful place to live.)
- Make a list of “can’t live withouts”. What new home features and trends are most important to you? Make a list of the things you know you must have. Have you decided if you need a two-story or ranch-style home? Is it important to your family to have a big backyard? Or a finished basement? Maybe it’s key for you to find a family-friendly community with amenities, like walking trails or a swimming pool. Knowing your priorities before you start searching will save you time and energy.
- Find your style… vintage or all new? Old homes certainly have their charm. Maybe you’re dreaming of a cool, mid-century modern ranch with retro fixtures, or a lovingly restored farmhouse. But if your vision of the perfect new home has a big dream kitchen with a multi-functional kitchen island, his-and-hers closets, brand new appliances and fixtures, and a wide-open floorplan, your dream home is a new-build. Also, keep in mind that there can be a pretty big difference in energy efficiency from old homes to newer ones, so be sure to weigh utility costs into your budget. One other great factor with new-build homes is that they come with a new home warranty for peace of mind over time.
- Location, location, location. What are your priorities for the location of your new home? What stage of life are you in? If you have kids, obviously the school system is going to be important to you. What are your other top considerations in terms of location? A short commute to work? Easy access to community parks and trails? Do you want to be in the middle of the action or would you rather settle down a little farther out, where it’s more tranquil? Ask your realtor or new home building consultant to help you choose the right location in or around Columbus for your perfect new home.
- Determine your timeline. If you don’t need to move immediately, and you have a vision of exactly what your dream home will be, you can work with a new home builder to customize your new home’s design—from the fixtures, to the floorplan, to the exterior finishes. However, if you need to move quickly or you like the idea of being able to see what you’re getting up front, up close and in-person, a move-in ready home might be your best bet.
- Surf the ‘net. Once you’ve established your priorities, check out the cool online tools available to do a little online shopping and save time, gas and energy. Many Columbus new home builders have 3-D and showcase videos, as well as interactive floorplans that can help you get a better feel for a new home or a community without driving from one end of the city to the other to scope all of the options out.
- Check out the ‘hood. Once you’ve narrowed down your options to a few select communities that fit the bill for your new home location, it’s time to meet some people. Don’t just check out the house. Walk around the neighborhood at different times of day and talk to the people who would be your neighbors. Take time to check out all the community amenities that your family could enjoy if you lived there.
- Keep an open mind. Paint color is not a new home feature. It can be changed in a day. So, when you’re touring model homes or a move-in ready homes, keep an open mind. If the floorplan works for your family’s lifestyle, design styles can be updated in due time.
- Enjoy the adventure. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. You’ll run, as they say, the gamut of emotions as you go through the process of selecting and purchasing your new home. Keep your eyes on the prize though. Whether you find the process of sorting through homes for sale in Columbus fun or frazzling, soon you’ll be settled in and enjoying all the amazing things life in your new home has to offer.
If you’re looking for a move-in ready or new-build home for sale in Columbus, look no further than Westport Homes. Westport Homes, a division of D.R. Horton, is the Midwest’s most respected new home builder, with communities in and around Columbus, Fort Wayne, Cincinnati and Indianapolis.
When you choose a Westport Home, you’re choosing a Columbus new home builder that’s consistently chosen as a Top 100 Builder, year after year. You’re also choosing a quality new home builder that’s committed to utilizing sustainable building practices and offering standard features that other builders consider upgrades. You’ll feel confident that you have the Westport Advantage on your side.
Columbus-area communities include: Broadmoore Commons, Broadmoore Commons- Lifestyle Paired Patio Homes in Pataskala; Adalee Park and The Reserve at Lantern Chase in Delaware; Brentwood and The Overlook in Lancaster; Butler Farms in Obetz; Canal Cove in Canal Winchester; Chestnut Commons in Commercial Point; Ellington in Granville; Meadows of Mill Creek in Ostrander; Preston Trails and Willow Pond in Pickerington; Springer Woods in Delaware; The Corners at Johnnycake and The Reserve at Hidden Creek in Galena; Wagnalls Run in Lithopolis and Weaver Ridge in Marysville.