Eight Tips to Finding the Perfect New Home for Sale in Indianapolis
How to find the perfect home from the best Indianapolis new home builder.
As robins feather their nests and crocuses peek out of the ground, new home buying season has begun. If you’re in the market for a new home for sale in Indianapolis this spring, you’re about to embark on a big adventure. Once you’ve found your dream home, you’ll create new traditions and find new ways to feather YOUR nest. In this post, we’ll cover eight tips to help you focus your search and find the perfect new home in Indianapolis (which, by the way, is a wonderful place to live).
- Make a list of must-haves. What new home features and trends are important to you? Make a list of the things you know you can’t live without. Two-story or ranch-style home? Large backyard? Basement? A community with amenities, like walking trails or a swimming pool? Upgraded kitchen fixtures? First floor laundry? Knowing your priorities before you start searching will save you time and energy.
- Decide if you want an older home or a new-build home. Are you dreaming of the charm of a mid-century modern ranch, a stately, remodeled Victorian or a restored farmhouse? Or does your vision of the perfect new home have soaring high ceilings, brand new appliances and fixtures, and a wide-open floorplan? There are other considerations between older and newer homes too, like the fact that new homes come with a new home warranty and tend to be more energy efficient.
- Choose your location. When it comes to the location of your new home, what are your priorities? Do you need to be near good schools? Shopping? Close to your office? Near water or parks? In the heart of the action or in a quiet, wooded community? Work with your realtor or new home building consultant to help you choose the right location in or around Indianapolis for your perfect new home.
- Decide if you want to do a new-build home or choose a move-in ready. What’s your timeline? If you have the time and inclination to work with a new home builder, you will have more available choices in your new home’s design, from the fixtures, to the floorplan, to the exterior finishes. However, if you need to move quickly or would rather choose a beautiful new home that already meets your needs, a move-in ready home can be a dream come true for you.
- Use online tools. Once you have your list, use some of the cool online tools available to help you narrow your search and again, save time and energy. For example, 3-D and showcase videos and interactive floorplans can help you get a better feel for a new home or a community without driving from one end of the city to the other to scope out all of the options.
- Get to know the neighborhood. Once you’ve narrowed down your options to a few select communities that fit the bill for your new home location, it’s time to take a drive. If you feel so inclined, try to meet the people who would be your neighbors. And, check out all the community amenities that will enhance your family’s’ life there.
- Keep an open mind. When you’re viewing a model home or a move-in ready home, don’t be off-put by things that are easily changeable, like paint colors or other design choices. If you find the perfect floorplan that fits most (or all!) of your must-haves, in a community that feels like home, you can easily change the decor to suit you.
- Relax and enjoy the ride. You’re moving! What are you feeling? Excited? Scared? Overwhelmed? There’s a lot involved in the process of selecting and purchasing a new home in Indianapolis. However, it’s also an adventure, and you’re on a path to an amazing new chapter in life for you and your family. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. Your new home is going to be great, and your happily ever after awaits.
If you’re looking for a new home for sale in Indianapolis, whether you want a move-in ready home or are planning to build, look no further than Westport Homes. Westport Homes, a division of D.R. Horton, is the Midwest’s most respected new home builder, with communities in and around Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio.
When you choose a Westport Home, you’re choosing an Indianapolis new home builder that’s consistently chosen as a Top 100 Builder, year after year. You’re also choosing a quality new home builder that’s committed to utilizing sustainable building practices and offering standard features that other builders consider upgrades. You’ll feel confident that you have the Westport Advantage on your side.
Indianapolis new-build home communities include: Avery Park, Cardinal Village, Epler Trace, Overlook at Birchwood Park, Tansel Creek, Village at New Bethel, Village at New Home- Patio Homes, Villas at Birchwood Park and Woods at Traders Point.
Other Indianapolis-area communities include: Devonshire, Grant Park at Prestwick, Regency Estates, Regency Reserve, Settlement West in Avon; Bridlewood Estates and Bridlewood Reserve in Plainfield; Estates at Rocklane Ridge, Pleasant Valley and Reserve at Rocklane Ridge in Greenwood; Homestead in Monrovia; Sawmill in Greenfield; Sheffield Park in Westfield; Stone Crossing in New Palestine; Twin Lakes Estates in Shelbyville and Westwood Landing in Whitestown.