Top Five Summer Entertaining Tips for Your New-Build Home
Throwing a party in your new home can be a breeze!
With its wide-open floorplan, fabulous kitchen and lovely deck and backyard, your gorgeous new dream home is your happy space. And, Summer is a wonderful time for a casual get-together. (And by casual, we mean minimal work for you!) If you plan it right, you’ll enjoy your party as much as your guests do, and everyone will have a ball. Let’s take a look at our top five summer entertaining tips for your new-build home.
- Hire someone to help. Do this one time, and you’ll never consider having a party without help again. You can do all the food and drink yourself, but having just one helper, regardless of how many guests you have, will take a huge amount of pressure off on party day. Talk to the servers at your favorite neighborhood restaurant, and ask them if they do extra work on the side, or use an online service. Regardless of which way you go, here are a few tips on how to use your helpers:
- Have them come two hours before party time, and have them pick up ice on their way!
- They can also help welcome your guests and keep an eye on the drinks and the food so you can do what your party is intended for… socializing!
- Ask them to stay an hour after the party to help clean up and take out the trash.
- Don’t plan to grill. At least not while your guests are there. You’ll be distracted, stressed and unable to give your guests proper attention. If you want to offer a summery, grilled dish, plan something you can grill in advance that will hold up in a warm oven until it’s time to eat, like chicken breast or bratwurst. An hour before your guests are due to arrive, cook your items to about ten degrees less doneness than you normally would, cover them (but tent the foil to let steam escape) and keep them warm at a low temp. Then, you’ll have time to freshen up and be a great host for your party!
- Use your island. Your new dream kitchen has a fantastic center island. Use it! Most parties end up in the kitchen anyway, so there’s no point in fighting it. Set up a lovely buffet on your island. Use some pedestals or crates to create some levels of varying height–it will allow you more room for goodies while giving your food presentation maximum impact. Make sure you set up your drinks either outside on the deck or on the opposite end of your space to avoid a traffic jam.
- Invite your neighbors! When you’re new to a community, inviting your new neighbors over is the perfect way to get to know them and then get invited to their homes! If you have a neighborhood Facebook page, post your invitation there. (Also, check to make sure the date you’ve chosen doesn’t conflict with a neighbor’s birthday, graduation, shower or other event.)
- Plan for some fun stuff. Games aren’t just for kids’ parties. Adults like to play too! “Giant” games are easy to find, on Amazon or other shopping sites. Put a giant Jenga on the deck and a giant Connect Four in the yard, and you’ll soon find everyone’s in on the action, breaking the ice, creating teams and making new friends!
Westport Homes, a division of D.R. Horton, America’s Builder, is in the business of making new home dreams come true. We build quality homes for families just like yours, throughout the greater Indianapolis and Fort Wayne areas in Indiana and throughout the greater Columbus area in Ohio. If you’re ready to entertain the idea of a marvelous new-build or move-in ready home with loads of amenities and room to grow, reach out to Westport Homes today. Our focus is on you.