Six Tips to Choose the Perfect Floorplan for Your New-Build Home
Shopping for a new home? If the ability to choose your own floorplan is important to you, you should plan to work with a new home builder. Choosing a new-build home over an older home gives you the ability to choose the perfect floorplan for your new-build home that’s tailored to your family’s budget, style, needs and wants. Here’s a list of tips to guide you as you choose the floorplan that best fits you and your family’s lifestyles.
1. Know your budget. Your first priority when choosing a floorplan for your new home is deciding how much house you can afford. Nailing this down at the start will help you determine how much square footage you should be looking for in your new home floorplan. This can prevent you from falling in love with a floorplan that’s out of your price range. Talk to the builders and contractors to ensure you know how your costs will vary with the various floorplans they offer.
2. Spaces for everyone. If you don’t have kids, you might prefer a new home floorplan that has more entertaining space and fewer bedrooms. If you do have children, you may need a new home with more bedrooms and larger living areas to give them (and you!) the space everyone needs. After you figure out what kinds of spaces you need, it will be easier to select the perfect new home floorplan for you.
3. See yourself there. When you’re looking through floorplans, imagine yourself in the home with your family. Can you watch your kids playing in the living room while cooking dinner in the kitchen? Will the master bedroom give you enough privacy from the rest of the home? If you can’t imagine yourself in the home as you consider the floorplan, keep looking at new homes until you walk in the door and think, “This is it.”
4. Needs versus wants. Make a list of “must have” and “nice to have.” For example, if you have kids, you may be spending a lot of time in the laundry room, so you’ll need one that’s conveniently located and has a great flow. If you work from home, you may require a quiet space where you can concentrate with minimal interruptions. While a huge porch or breakfast nook might appeal to you, if it’s a “nice to have,” you might exchange some of the things you want for the things you absolutely need.
5. Ask the experts. Don’t forget that the builders and stylists are there to help you, so don’t be afraid to ask for their opinions and guidance. They’ve helped a lot of families find the perfect home for them. They will have valuable information on home upkeep and energy savings as well.
6. Focus on function. Keep in mind that you need to focus on the actual layout of the home, not the decorations or how the model is styled. Make the decision on how functional the new home floorplan would be for your family’s everyday life. Your family and the treasures you all bring are what will ultimately transform the house into your home.
About Westport Homes
Westport Homes has rapidly become a leading new home builder in the Midwest. Our people and processes, durability and assurance of quality home building have expanded our growth from Indianapolis to operations in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and Ohio.
Our quality new-build homes come equipped with an extensive list of included features that other builders consider upgrades, such as decorative lighting packages, finely crafted wood cabinets, impressive landscaping packages, and, on select plans, kitchen islands and luxurious master bathrooms. We offer one of the best warranties in the new home industry. Additionally, we use building materials and suppliers that embrace sustainability and resource conservation. These green features make for a cleaner home and save you money each month on utility bills by using less energy and water.